How did Saint Abigail become a saint?
Abigail - Courageous and farsighted
With beauty, courage and understanding
She is not only one of the most fascinating women in the Bible, but also stands for courage, wisdom and love of God with her deeds. Abigail, whose story is told in the Old Testament, is the woman without whom David would not have managed to become the first and most important king over Judah and Israel. Of the numerous women mentioned in the Bible, Abigail is undoubtedly one of those who are not only characterized by extraordinary strength, but also have an essential role in the course of history in the Bible.
An unhappy marriage
The story of David and Abigail begins in the Old Testament with the news of Samuel's death. With his passing, David has to get by without his important advisor and prophet, who had stood by him until then. Even before she meets David on his flight from King Saul and subsequently marries, Abigail is already married to another man who is characterized in the Bible as the exact opposite of her. Abigail is described as a beautiful and astute woman. Her husband, Nabal, is a wealthy man who enjoys a high social standing due to his wealth. Unfortunately, however, he is also hard and bad in his actions, just a "Nabal", which translated means something like fool.
With diplomatic skills
David, who offers Nabal's people protection during the grazing season, has his followers ask for a portion of the feast after the sheep is sheared. Unreasonable and indignant, Nabal refuses and sends David's people back without realizing what conflict he is causing. David swears bloody vengeance on Nabal's whole house and sets off with 400 men on his way to him.
In contrast to Nabal, Abigail recognizes the predicament and acts quickly and prudently. When she learns from a servant what her husband has done, she immediately sets off with generous gifts without telling her husband and rides to meet David. With a convincing speech in which she apologizes for her useless husband, she succeeds in preventing David from killing Nabal and can thereby avert greater harm.
A prophetess who acts by faith
In contrast to Nabal, Abigail already recognizes that David is God's willed King of Israel and foresees his glory. More importantly, she takes on the role of prophet that has been missing since Samuel's death and proclaims God's promise to David.
In order for David's destiny to be fulfilled, however, it is imperative to prevent him from incurring blood guilt. Abigail's wise words bring David to his senses and prevent worse. Eventually David abandons his plan of revenge and leaves Nabal alive.
The new woman at David's side
Smart as she is, Abigail waits until her husband has slept off his intoxication after a party before informing him about what happened to David. Nabal's heart then stops and he dies shortly afterwards as if the punishment of God had overtaken him in this way. When David learns that the beautiful and clever Abigail is widowed, he immediately lets courtship and solicitation for her hand. Abigail agrees and becomes the wife of the future king of Israel and Judah.
Abigail's story shows what a special woman she was: her faith and fear of God make it possible to see what is to become of David. Her courage enables her to defy the will of her wicked husband and to face David and his followers. Ultimately, however, it is her acumen and diplomatic skills that prevent David from making a fatal mistake. David immediately recognizes the value of this special woman and makes her not only his wife, but also an important advisor who should help him in his ascent to king.
More information about Abigail can be found here:
More on the topic of women's novels
Would you like to discover even more captivating women? In addition to other exciting novel biographies on fascinating women such as "Hildegard von Bingen", "Hedwig von Schlesien" and many others in the "Women's novels" section, you will find even more interesting reading on a wide variety of topics in our "Books" category.
Banner: © stock.adobe.com / Anna Om
- What is a cell phone charger
- What is the cost of living in Nuremberg
- How did you feel after leaving TCS?
- Why don't shoes wear shoes
- Attracts Coursera industry teachers
- What happens when pigs fly
- Who is the lead singer from BTS
- Can you decipher the word PSEKA?
- One-sided love is worthy
- Why do only male reindeer have antlers?
- South Africa has water scarcity
- Do you think the universe will end?
- What are some creepy old time songs
- Who built the Bogibeel Bridge in Assam
- What smoothies can I make with orange?
- What is KYC and EKYC
- Why is franchising so popular in Brazil
- A Unacademy subscription is helpful
- What was your favorite camping hiking experience
- Is gear oil thicker than hydraulic oil
- What does Max Pooling do
- Who is the Prime Minister of Africa
- What is takeover at SRM IST University
- Who is the strongest horror movie killer
- Eating sweetly increases the weight
- Why is Mary Barra important worldwide
- What is the national fruit of Suriname
- How good are you at writing fiction
- How long is an apostille valid?
- Why does salt change color when heated?
- How are programming languages developed
- How old is rick santorum
- What are some TV series like Poirot
- What was your worst eating experience