What does a benign tumor mean
Benign and malignant tumors
Tumors (Tumors, degenerate tissue) arise when the body's own tissue increases excessively and uninhibitedly. Depending on the growth behavior, a distinction is made:
- Benign tumors (benign tumors). They usually grow slowly and displace the surrounding tissue, but does not migrate into the tissue (non-invasive growth). Benign tumors only threaten the patient's life if they grow in critical areas (e.g. in the brain).
- Precancerous lesions. These are diseases or tissue changes that are associated with an increased risk of malignant degeneration, e.g. B. papillary growths of the urinary bladder mucosa (papillary bladder tumor).
- Malignant tumors (malignant tumors, malignancies). They consist of malignant cells, often grow rapidly, invade neighboring tissues (invasive, infiltrating growth) and form Metastases (Daughter tumors). If left untreated, they are usually fatal. Only malignant tumors are considered cancer designated.
- Semimalignant tumors ("Semi-malignant" tumors). Like malignant tumors, these grow invasively and destructively at their place of origin, but in contrast to these, as a rule, form no Metastases and therefore occupy an intermediate position. The basalioma of the skin is common here.
- Carcinoma in situ. Here the cells are already strongly changed (highly atypical) and thus show the characteristics of malignancy; however, the tumor does not yet show any invasive growth into adjacent tissue and has therefore not yet metastasized.
AuthorsDr. med. Nicole Menche, Dr. med. Arne Schäffler in: Gesundheit heute, edited by Dr. med. Arne Schäffler. Trias, Stuttgart, 3rd edition (2014). Revision and update: Dr. med. Sonja Kempinski | last changed on at 13:31
- What Marvel character had wasted potential
- What if Lord Ram were still alive today?
- Which oil replaces mustard
- Where do we find the best honey in the world
- What is Johnny Nash's most successful song
- How do I do my nda ticks
- What are the benefits of Sahaja Yoga
- How can I stop plaque
- How unique is Lucknow for its food
- Are ghosts afraid of noise
- What do people think of Quora
- MS in Germany 1
- Is Qureka a real or fake app
- Who are really rich
- What is the fee for starter checks
- What are the uses of boundary microphones
- Screams badly for your health
- Why are rebellious people considered heroes
- How bad is ice for the skin?
- Why is Macbeth cursed
- When do hummingbirds fly south
- What does the Bible say about birthdays
- When did you start shaving facial hair?
- What is the technology for mobile communication