What can medical assistants specialize in?
The magazine for medical professionals
© Kelvin Cantlon - Fotolia.com
- The organizational and business management area
- The medical area for use in special practices
- The area of communication and training
What is the difference between advanced training and advanced training? Both convey additional specialist knowledge and the limit is primarily defined by the time required: While advanced training is a rather short measure, advanced training is usually considerably more extensive in terms of time required. For this reason, advanced training is also about a specific, delimited topic. In advanced training, you deal with a whole range of topics in order to expand your own skills and thus create professional advancement and better earning opportunities.
Organizers of advanced and advanced training are public and independent organizations, associations, technical schools, universities and private providers.
Since further education and training are associated with costs, it is important to inquire in advance that the measure can be built on. Unfortunately, many advanced and advanced training courses are not offered uniformly nationwide, but vary in the individual federal states.
The medical assistant
An important further training course recognized by all chambers is that of becoming a medical assistant, which is equivalent to a master's degree in industry.
As part of the reorganization of the Training Ordinance and the new job title Medical Specialist (MFA), there will also be a new name for this training in the foreseeable future.
The training is part-time, the theoretical lessons usually take place on Saturdays over a period of two years.
The learning content of the training is intensified and expanded in 280 teaching hours (compulsory part). The course content includes legal principles in medical practices, prevention and health advice, emergency management, operational and quality management, information and communication technologies, medical products and occupational safety as well as training aptitude. The practical part (optional part) with at least 120 teaching hours includes recognized qualifications in medical fields.
It can be:
- Outpatient surgery
- Industrial medicine
- Gastroenterological endoscopy
- DRG and documentation
- Nutritional advice
- Quality management
All elective parts can also be completed outside of further training to become a medical assistant, if colleagues want to specialize or expand their spectrum.
For work in specialized practices, appropriate advanced training is often a prerequisite or the employer requires advanced training in order to meet the necessary requirements in practice.
Even with further training to become a medical assistant, not all elective parts are offered in all federal states. However, it is quite possible to complete elective parts in another federal state. You should clarify this beforehand with the responsible state medical association. The cost of the compulsory part is around 2,000 euros, and the elective part can add around 1,000 euros. Accommodation and travel expenses are already taken into account in these costs.
Disease management programs (DMPs) have become more important, especially for general practitioners. The doctor's assistant not only plays an important role in the organization of the DMPs and their process in the practice, there are also completely new areas of responsibility for the practice team within the framework of the DMPs. This includes:
- Hypertension training
- Medical foot care / podiatry; also with certification by the DDG
- Training program for type 2 diabetes with and without insulin
- Diabetes assistant DDG
- Diabetes consultant DDG
- Nutrition and diet consultant
Since training courses are carried out in many practices or the practices are connected to a training center, there is the possibility of additional income for the practice staff. In addition, many employers are willing to share in the costs of the training if they are then offered in practice.
Provider - what do I have to pay attention to?
Anyone who invests time and money in further education or training must pay attention to the seriousness and recognition of the measures and the provider. Certificates and stamps from “official” bodies still have a better rating than those of small regional providers. This group of providers includes:
- Medical associations
- Association of medical professions V.
- BIG - Bildungswerk in the health sector
- HAG - Heidelberg Academy for Health Professions e. V.
- Carl Oelemann School for medical assistant professions
- DGQ - German Society for Quality Management
- DGSV - German Society for Sterile Supply
Beate Rauch-Windmüller is a doctor's assistant in Emmendingen, an advanced training expert for the Association of Medical Professions and a consultant for the KV Baden-Württemberg.
Would you like to know more about professional training opportunities? You can find a lot of relevant information on the Internet at
- Can an IPS officer question the suspects?
- Why should we use the internet
- Is the universe a big magnet
- Is murder generally evil
- What does it mean to be pious
- How is titanium carbide made
- What is the best Groupon TEFL class
- Are all liberals like Harvey Weinstein
- What is the treatment for tuberculosis lymphadenitis
- Why is life no longer fun
- Turmeric is good for skin care
- What are the cons of Tableau
- Which NPR programs are broadcast live
- Where can I learn MuleSoft in India
- Which states have bicycle helmet laws
- Are you satisfied with your plastic surgery?
- What do business people do
- What is the most conventional power plant
- Have units of the US Army AA
- Teenagers still go to the movies
- Why are certain foods popular over delivery
- What is the capital of Montserrat
- Are all liberals like Harvey Weinstein
- What is the nature of pegmatite