When is the ripe season for avocados
If the pulp gives way slightly to pressure, the avocado is ripe. (Photo by: © olhaafanasieva / fotolia.com)
Avocados are pear-like in shape and have a large core inside.
They can be processed quickly - whether cut into small pieces as a snack, pureed as a spread or as an accompaniment to meat dishes.
IMPORTANT: Avocados are always eaten raw, because when they are cooked, excessive amounts of bitter substances are released.
We mainly have two varieties in the supermarket:
- smooth green Fuerte - tastes mild
- wrinkled dark brown hate - tastes more aromatic and intense
The avocado is originally from Mexico. Today, most of the avocados come from California. But Israel, South Africa and Spain as well as Mexico are also important growing countries.
The main season for avocados starts in August and continues into May. The fruits are of course also available in summer, but the autumn avocados have the better aroma.
A ripe avocado can usually not be recognized by the color of the peel; a clear indicator of ripeness is the consistency of the Pulp which one with a Pressure test can perform:
- If you press lightly on the fruit with your fingers, it should only give slightly and not feel too mushy, then it is ripe.
- If it still feels hard, the fruit is not yet ripe.
Storage / shelf life
When you buy avocados in the supermarket, they are usually not quite ripe. They have to ripen at home, depending on the degree of ripeness, about 1-2 days Room temperature.
It goes even faster if you store the fruit together with bananas or apples - the ripening gases flowing out accelerate the ripening process.
Info: Avocados should not be kept in the refrigerator as it is too cold there for the tropical fruits.
Avocados convince with their slightly nutty and mild taste.
Avocado is often used as an ingredient in spreads and sauces. (Photo by: © Hetizia / fotolia.com)
Use in the kitchen
In order to be able to process an avocado, it has to be cut through to the core. Then you take half of the fruit in each hand and twist them against each other so that the core can be released.
Link tip:Cut & divide avocados correctly!
Tip: If the avocado is not eaten right away, it should be drizzled with lemon juice to prevent the flesh from turning brown.
- Avocados taste best lightly salted or sweetened.
- It is often used as an ingredient in spreads and sauces - just think of the famous guacamole.
- But they also go very well in salads, egg dishes or as an accompaniment to various meat dishes.
- The avocado also goes perfectly with salmon.
- Not to be forgotten, of course, are the healthy green smoothies that you can make with the fruit.
A few recipe recommendations:
Nutritional value / active ingredients
Avocados are an important supplier of unsaturated fatty acids and can therefore be regularly on the menu.
- The avocado also contains vitamins A, D, E and K as well as potassium, iron and calcium.
- Avocados contain a lot of linoles and can therefore help eczema sufferers.
- Can help lower cholesterol.
- Avocados also help the body deal with headaches, deal with sore muscles quickly and prevent muscle cramps.
Info: 100 grams of avocado have between 160 and 200 kcal and a fat content of 14 grams, depending on the variety - but most of it is the good ones unsaturated fatty acids.
Avocados do have a high percentage of fat, but this does not make you fat. Instead, the few carbohydrates and the high amount of fiber keep the insulin level low and thus prevent food cravings.
Rating: Ø 4.0 (170 votes)
- Why is ethanol hot
- What does mystical 2
- Prostate cancer treated at CMC Vellore
- Kills Mayonnaise Laeuse eggs
- Are there unsafe areas in Harare Zimbabwe
- What does a crash cost an airline
- What causes the low oil prices
- What can you become after studying music
- How can you measure heat
- Can telecommunications engineers work at airlines
- Has Bjoerk written her own songs
- What is QlikView
- What is the difference between LLP LP
- What is pultruded carbon fiber
- Snooker, why is fouling not good
- What does a benign tumor mean
- What is the negative sign called
- Are you looking forward to Aquaman's film
- Magic is the science we don't understand
- What are the uses of boundary microphones
- Which country code is +93
- What is a TOR steel
- Why did Dribbble not release a write API
- What color goes best with a room