What is silver nitrate with water
Experiment of the month
Mineral water contains various dissolved ions, including chloride. This can be demonstrated by a simple precipitation reaction. It turns out that the chloride content can be very different.
Equipment and chemicals:
Test tubes, Pasteur pipettes
Mineral water, tap water
5% silver nitrate solution, 20% nitric acid.
Test tubes with demin. Fill water, various mineral waters and tap water approx. 2-3 cm high. Add 5 drops of 20% nitric acid and shake. Add 3 drops of silver nitrate solution to each test tube. Depending on the chloride content, different amounts of a white precipitate arise, the solution with demin. Water stays clear.
Silver ions and chloride ions result in a white precipitate of AgCl. The addition of acid prevents silver carbonate from precipitating. Most mineral waters contain between 5 ... 100 mg / l chloride, but there are also particularly salty and particularly low-salt mineral waters.
In the example shown, the glass contains (1) demineralized water, (2) - (5) mineral water with 5/7/16/110 mg / l chloride, (6) tap water.
In tap water, the chloride content is additionally increased by chlorination, which is often carried out for disinfection.
Nitric acid and silver nitrate are corrosive.
The solutions are added to the heavy metal waste.
Literature & Links:
P. Grob: Simple school experiments on food chemistry, experiment 8.4
Inorganic Chemistry Textbooks
Information center for German mineral water
October 2009: Tablet coatings
back to the current experiment
Page created on: Saturday, October 31, 2009,A. Schunk,Charité - University Medicine Berlin.
No responsibility is taken for the content of external sites!
- Is Bernie Sanders politically finished
- Why did the space shuttle explode
- How to cut a cement board
- What is an acceptor circuit and its application
- What if World War II happened today?
- What does the stock ticker DRIP measure
- Receive reservists of the Army TRICARE
- How do underground caves bear their weight?
- What's so difficult about C ++
- How can GST implementation be improved
- Spanish language What does Tuco mean
- What is the full form of UBCM
- Do athletes take nutritional supplements
- Is ICFAI Hyderabad good for the law
- Will Indians use online table reservation?
- How can I keep my blog interesting
- Where in the world are pineapples grown?
- What are the best posters ever made
- What is Cox Communications' relationship with Comcast
- Can the child maintenance debt be forgiven?
- What does the Bible say about birthdays
- Does the skin feel healthy?
- How trustworthy is TrustCloud
- Is the Khan Academy better than the Unacademy
- How can I study project management online
- You should let your children fight
- Religion attracts narcissists
- Rather fear than stop people
- Are you teaching at home what is it like?
- What is sheer willpower
- What have you been hearing wrong lately
- Who are the creators of Cyberpunk 2077
- What are some of the best courses on Udemy
- Is Arvind Kejriwal Delhi's Chiranjeevi