Why are so many managers rude
5 fatal email mistakes that you should avoid as a senior manager
Our communication at the workplace is increasingly taking place via e-mail programs instead of talking to colleagues in person. Even if the members of a project group only sit one or two tables away, the latest status or even a new project idea is forwarded by email, so that some colleagues only then find out what changes are pending. Constructive and personal communication with one another is very important, especially at higher levels. Getting rid of email communication entirely is certainly not the best solution, so there are certain things you should watch out for.
We already pointed out the rules for dealing with e-mail communication in an article last year. Today we want to present you with 5 fatal email errors that you should definitely avoid - especially if you hold a senior position!
1. At the top of the list is something that should be taken for granted
Use swear words. It is not uncommon for employees to use extremely inappropriate swear words to express their anger about customers or partners when communicating with colleagues via e-mail. Even if you only do this internally and do not insult anyone publicly, it does not throw a particularly good light on you as a manager. This is far from cool and will at most label you a choleric.
2. Just don't answer
Even if it's just a confirmation or the long-awaited response, a quick thank you and kind regards won't take up too much of your precious time. Simply not answering is very rude. Unless you can clarify the topic in a personal interview, this is generally preferable.
3. Dispute via email
The technological developments of the last few years have changed the way we deal with each other. It is no longer uncommon for Facebook posts to destroy entire relationships (including business ones). However, if you have a problem with one of your colleagues, clarify this in a personal interview. E-mails can certainly simplify many things, but they cannot replace important characteristics of human communication: facial expressions, gestures, body language, tonality ... This is extremely important to resolve disputes, away from the keyboard and on to your colleague.
4. Stick to email communication at all costs
You should definitely know when it is better to pick up the phone or even choose a personal conversation. Don't overload your email with too many details. If the project is complex, discuss it as a team and avoid misunderstandings. Even serious changes in the workflow or in projects should never be communicated by email to employees who did not take part in a meeting. In this way you convey a kind of two-tier society in the company, which will have an extremely negative effect on the motivation, productivity and commitment of your employees.
5. Dismiss employees via email
It should have happened that relationships were terminated via SMS. Do you really want to lower yourself to this level? Don't try to be the boss here. An employee, regardless of the reasons for which he is dismissed, deserves to be treated fairly. So give him constructive feedback and discuss the circumstances of the discharge in a face-to-face meeting.
We hope that these tips will save you future embarrassment or negative consequences in the workplace, especially if you are in a senior position. On to some decent form of email communication!
- What evidence supports the block universe
- How is the distance between planets determined
- Propylene glycol is toxic
- Depression can lead to shortened vocabulary
- Are Illuminati bad people
- How is XeF structured
- Considered Vermont as part of New England
- What benefits can I claim for fibromyalgia
- Who has lower fees Etsy or eBay
- Teak oil goes bad
- Which religion is least involved in violence?
- Who is Nandan Nilekani
- What is the most successful song by George Straits
- How can a man question his faith
- What if Lord Buckethead wins
- Who thinks art is difficult and why
- What is Linux Kernel Hardening
- What is a parting gift
- How can I add snippets in SEO
- Is Harry Potter a Christmas movie
- What are the depths of 7 oceans
- Film is a dead art
- Which is more simply selenium or ETL
- Is Google Photos better than iCloud