What is the strongest organism
Where is the hardest bone in the body?
Temporal bone protects the inner ear
It is a rather small bone that sits in a place that cannot be seen from the outside, namely on the inner ear. It is the so-called petrous bone. It protects the inner ear and thus also the balance organ and the auditory nerves. And precisely because this bone is so small, it is also so hard. Because suppose we hit our skulls or someone hits our ears, then this bone, which protects very important nerves in a small space, should not be deformed, otherwise the nerves will be pinched - with all the negative consequences for the hearing or our balance.
Thigh or shin: less hard and therefore less brittle
It is a fallacy to think that the big, strong bones are also the particularly hard ones - thighs or shins. Of course they have to endure a lot, but they do that by mass. In addition, the hardness of a material does not say anything about its strength. Hardness is the ability to withstand a deformation when external forces act. And it is actually more like this: Particularly hard materials are usually also brittle at the same time. That means that they can withstand a lot, but that also makes them immobile. So if a strong force does act, they break faster than softer materials, which can give way to the pressure. In the case of bones such as the thigh or the shin, it would not be so good if they were extremely hard, because then they could break faster under higher stress.
The text and audio of this post are licensed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creative Commons license.
- What does jailbreaking offer
- Why are traditions so important in Judaism
- What stopped Athens from conquering Greece
- How to say dentist in Arabic
- What are some examples of unethical communication
- How is genetic information encoded
- What are the youngest languages in Europe
- What is the practice of meditation
- Will Arya Stark avenge her family?
- What if Nymeria went with Arya
- Are fillings stronger than teeth
- How is the volume measured?
- How is Sir Gangaram Hospital for Nephrology
- Include HPE switches with Aruba switches
- DeviantArt is a publicly traded company
- What is network coverage
- What is not known about human DNA
- How to start your own business
- There is a decent online chat
- Is it wrong to use Rompler presets?
- What is an advertising tag
- What is a charter school
- What are the interesting areas in physics
- How do you say born in Hindi
- What was John Wayne's most memorable role
- What is daffodil scientific name
- Are you crushing your first crush
- What's your CGPA
- Why are companies so corrupt
- What shares will I buy in India in 2017
- Are fancy cars worth the price
- Studio monitors are handy for rehearsals
- Why is Macbeth cursed