Can I replace cabbage with lettuce?
Prepare, clean and store Chinese cabbage
Easy to prepare and versatile in use: Chinese cabbage is a practical winter vegetable. Here you can find out where you can buy it and which dishes it is suitable for.
It goes well with fruit, is suitable for a crunchy salad as well as a stew and is cleaned in no time at all: Chinese cabbage is suitable for every season. Thanks to its mild taste, the vegetables can be combined with many other ingredients, explains the Provincial Association of Rhenish Fruit and Vegetable Growers.
Where can I buy Chinese cabbage?
Chinese cabbage, also known as Peking cabbage or Japanese cabbage, can be found in most supermarkets. Usually the cabbage, which contains many vitamins, calcium and iron, is offered wrapped in foil. This prevents rapid wilting and keeps the head fresher for longer.
Thanks to imports from other countries and cultivation in the greenhouse, the cabbage can be bought all year round. It is available from German outdoor cultivation from around September to December.
How to clean and cut Chinese cabbage
Before preparing Chinese cabbage, you need to clean the winter vegetables. The Asian type of cabbage is sold in whole heads, which can weigh up to two kilograms. The first thing you should do is remove the outer leaves. These can be dirty or even withered. Now you can chop the vegetables.
For salads, soups or stir-fries, it is advisable to cut the Chinese cabbage diagonally into narrow strips. The leaf veins of the winter vegetables are so tender that you can use them without any problems. If you want to prepare roulades from Chinese cabbage, separate the whole leaves at the lower end with a neat cut. Before preparation, wash the cabbage with cold salt water to remove any remaining dirt.
Preparing Chinese cabbage: Cooking times for the winter vegetables
If you want to prepare Chinese cabbage, you don't have to plan a lot of time, because the winter vegetables are extremely tender. Whether boiled in soup, fried in a pan or steamed in a wok - you shouldn't boil the leaves for more than five to seven minutes.
The only exception in the preparation: roulades made from Chinese cabbage. If you simmer the stuffed cabbage leaves, they should allow 25 to 40 minutes to cook. When steamed, winter vegetables take around five minutes less.
Chinese cabbage: The cabbage has been grown in China since the 5th century. (Source: ranmaru_ / Getty Images)
Chinese cabbage recipes
A Chinese cabbage salad is prepared very quickly: cut the cabbage into strips and mix it with a few pieces of mandarin or apple and a dressing - done. A recipe for a Chinese cabbage salad with mustard dressing can be found here.
How to store Chinese cabbage
Chinese cabbage stays fresh in the vegetable compartment of your refrigerator for around a week. And that's a good thing: after all, you can prepare up to three meals from one head of cabbage.
If you want to store the winter vegetables longer, you can blanch the cabbage in salted water and then freeze it. The cabbage can be frozen for up to four months. Chinese cabbage only lasts for a maximum of two days at room temperature.
That's how much vitamin C there is in Chinese cabbage
Chinese cabbage contains many vitamins. One hundred grams of winter vegetables contain 25 milligrams of vitamin C, which is about a quarter of the recommended daily dose. 100 grams have twelve kilocalories.
- Walmart sells counterfeit products
- Is Bernie Sanders arrogant
- What's a salesperson's worst nightmare
- What causes wrinkles in teenagers
- Which companies rarely have mergers and acquisitions
- Are spiders more active at night
- How is the tire business
- What is a web hook
- When will the rupee take control of the dollar?
- How is the University of Phoenix classified
- Whose FBIs wanted most
- Is there any evidence for psychoanalytic theory
- Might beat Silver's Rayleigh Kataguri
- What is the safest portable heater
- What are re-targeting campaigns
- How difficult is APICS CSCP
- What are the subcategories of classical music
- Art of Living is a scam organization
- How is an air conditioning system made
- Why are false mink eyelashes better
- What is the full form of BATA
- Which has more value IQ or wisdom
- What money do Croatians use
- What's your worst workplace injury
- Dogs are the most loyal pets
- Which is the best bakery in Pune
- Do birds have emergency calls for infants
- How doctors spend their time
- How does population density affect social behavior?
- What is the most underrated thinking
- How is Ethiraj College Chennai 1
- What if I only ate meat
- Who staged Harry Potter