Are French bulldogs related to pugs
French Bulldog - Playful and in need of cuddling
With the upright ears and the short nose, the French Bulldog looks funny and delights young and old. But that is not the only reason why the breed has been one of the most popular in Germany for years.
These dogs are characterized by their cuddly and friendly nature and are suitable for families as well as loyal companions of seniors, singles and couples. If you are interested in the French Bulldog, then find out more about the nature, attitude, care and other information worth knowing in our breed portrait.
- Origin: France
- Height at withers: 24-35 cm
- Weight: 8-14 kg
- Life expectancy: 10-12 years
- Look: short, shiny fur; brindle, noncurrent or with limited piebald
- Essence: friendly, playful, patient, cuddly, loyal
The ideal family dog
With their cheerful character, the French Bulldog is the ideal family dog. Since she doesn't get upset so quickly, she is a suitable playmate for children. Make sure, however, that you do not see the dog as a toy, but as a living being.
Furthermore, the French Bulldog immediately wins over single people and couples with their loving and affectionate nature. Because of their small size, you can keep them in an apartment very well. Nevertheless, the following applies to these animals: small, but powerful! They are brave and usually not shy of large dogs. Therefore, they should come into contact with other animals at a young age in order to explore their limits.
In the classic sense, the French Bulldog is not a watchdog. But if the worst came to the worst, she would defend her pack. There are also representatives of the breed who make themselves heard loudly when the doorbell rings or visitors come to the house.
Typical Bully: appearance and build
These pedigree dogs are rather small with a height at the withers of 27 to 35 cm in males and 24 to 32 cm in bitches. They are muscular, wiry, and agile. Usually their weight is between 8 and 14 kg.
- External characteristics of the French Bulldog: Massive, angular head with a flat skull, arched forehead and pronounced stop, short muzzle, lower jaw protruding beyond the upper jaw, so-called bite loose, soft scalp with symmetrical folds, large distance between the eyes and the base of the ears, short, strong neck, broad shoulders, Strong, muscular legs, short tail, short coat
- Coat colors: Fawn / fawn (FCI standard) brindle / mixture of black, blonde, medium to dark brown and not too dark reddish hair (FCI standard), piebald (FCI standard) black with a red band, mouse gray, brown
The bulldog is moving in - what should you watch out for?
When the French Bulldog Puppy comes to your home, an exciting time begins. Because now getting to know each other and upbringing are in the foreground. Despite his nice and loving nature, your little four-legged friend can be very stubborn. Consistency and clear rules are therefore an important issue.
As soon as he is bigger, you should satisfy his urge to move and play with varied activities. The French Bulldog wants to be physically and mentally challenged and busy. But it shouldn't be too wild and persistent, because this can exacerbate the shortness of breath typical of the breed.
You should therefore do jogging, cycling and swimming without your four-legged friend.
What to do for the French Bulldog:
- Intelligence toys
- Play ball
- Search and tracking games
- Learn tricks
- Dog dancing
Bullys must be protected from the sun
Because of its short coat and short-headed shape, the French Bulldog is sensitive to strong sunlight and heat. In summer you should therefore provide a shady spot outside and avoid lunchtime for walks. In cold and wet weather it can happen that your four-legged friend freezes quickly. A dog sweater or coat protects him from the cold, rain and snow.
Otherwise, the French Bulldog is easy to care for. You rarely need to brush them, which is why a care glove is ideal. This measure supports the change of coat and makes the coat look healthy. You should check your eyes regularly, because they are not well protected, and the folds of the skin.
These can trap dirt and parasites, which can cause inflammation and other skin problems. However, it is sufficient to wipe them out if necessary and apply cream from time to time.
If the French Bulldog is bred well, it is usually in good health. Due to the shortened airways, however, most specimens keep getting short of breath. In severe cases, surgery can improve the suffering. Basically, this breed is not very grouchy and shows pain quite late. For this reason, it is important to have a close bond with your French Bulldog, because it allows you to recognize possible complaints more quickly.
- Heat stroke
- Patella dislocation: the kneecap slips out
- Brachycephaly syndrome: key symptom cleft palate
Where did the little bulldog come from? History and origins
The French bulldog actually originated in England, where it was bred as a vigorous and aggressive fighting dog for animal fights with bears, bulls and other animals. After attack dogs were banned in the 19th century, the demand for the animals decreased. Workers eventually brought smaller specimens to France as pied piper.
The wealthy and the aristocratic were quick to take a liking to the bulldogs. Peaceful breed representatives with standing ears were particularly popular, which is why they were primarily used for breeding. The breeders achieved their characteristic appearance and character by crossing the bulldog with the pug and the terrier.
Under the name "Toy Bulldog", the new breed first took part in an exhibition in London in 1836. It was recognized as a separate breed because it was now very different from the English Bulldog. In the years to come she had a heyday and even King Edward VII of England owned a male of the breed.
The popularity of these dogs has risen again in recent years. That is why there are numerous offers for French Bulldog puppies. If you want to buy a dog, you should value reputable breeders. They pay attention to the health of the animals and to species-appropriate breeding. With the acquisition costs you usually have to calculate between 800 and 2,000 euros. In our animal market you can choose both small dogs and adult animals.
You might also be interested in these topics:
- How do I overcome the fear of others
- What is a non-singular matrix
- Why was communism so popular
- How to Save 20 Income
- Synthetic Aperture Radar What is SAR 1
- Good kitty names
- Why does my phone turn off at some point
- How can i render fast
- What are all 72 names of God
- How can you collect website users
- Can emotions ever become truly trusted?
- Why am I crazy now?
- What is an OSM layer
- Does alcohol affect my ability to learn?
- The universe does not run under one consciousness
- Ginger is now an official race
- What is the diagnosis and treatment
- What can chemistry do in mechanical engineering
- Is India better at anything than America
- How does a compulsive liar change?
- Who is 7th
- What evidence supports the block universe
- How do I find the weight of the steel bar
- How docile are wood rattlesnakes