Insufficient sleep can cause cancer
Health: Studies show how unhealthy too little sleep really is
About eighty percent of Germans don't sleep enough: According to a survey by the polling institute Emnid, it is less than seven hours of sleep. And that's no wonder - everyday life makes it increasingly difficult to switch off and find peace.
Around 40 percent of Germans work shifts, from doctors to bus drivers. The double burden of parents, who have to reconcile work and family, deprives many of the necessary sleep. In addition, there is constant time pressure, constant availability via smartphone and the noise in the big cities.
However, sleep researchers recommend at least 7.5 hours of sleep a day. If you can't do this during the week, you should at least catch up on the sleep you need on the weekend. Researchers have found that those who sleep too little are significantly less focused and clumsy, react more slowly and make wrong decisions. And it has other serious consequences, as current studies show.
We spend a third of our lives sleeping
"We spend a third of our lives sleeping, but we still know little about the effects of this biological need on our cardiovascular system," says Dr. Epameinondas Fountas in his publication of a recent analysis on the right amount of sleep.
He and his team analyzed eleven studies involving more than 1 million subjects to investigate the effects of sleep deprivation. The results show how important sleep is for a healthy life.
Although everyone has different sleep needs, sleep researchers recommend seven to nine hours of sleep per night. This length ensures good cognitive performance and reduces the risk of cancer. Insufficient sleep, on the other hand, is linked to a significantly increased risk of cardiovascular problems including arteriosclerosis, heart attacks, strokes, heart failure and more.
The less sleep, the greater the risk of illness
Also, the results of a recent sleep study by researchers at the Spanish Center for Cardiovascular Research suggest that people who sleep less than six hours a night have a 27 percent higher risk of atherosclerosis, which can lead to clogging of the veins and so too Heart failure, stroke, or aneurysm can contribute.
A study by the University of Gothenburg, which examined the sleep behavior of middle-aged men, came to similar results. It showed that men who slept five hours or less a night were twice as likely to have a heart attack or stroke twenty years later than men who slept seven to eight hours a night during the study. The increased risk of not getting enough sleep is comparable to the effects of smoking or diabetes.
The new studies show that our bodies get into conflict and the risk of illness increases if they don't get enough sleep. So there are many good reasons to treat yourself to a large portion of sleep and rest again.
More on the topic at GEO.de
- Why do aspies sometimes just disappear
- What is Iran's known nuclear capability
- How much physics is needed to program
- How can I learn about computer finance?
- What does hard evidence mean
- How does a low oxygen content in the body affect eyesight?
- Starbucks How does Starbucks maintain your loyalty
- Why are misunderstanding parents so stubborn
- What makes a good biologist
- What vitamins are used for dry scalp
- Analyzes someone psychologically
- Where I found GOT free streaming online
- Is Qureka a real or fake app
- Which culture is the most incestuous
- How long will Android remain unchallenged
- How do you get through a relapse?
- How delicious it is to drink tea in Darjeeling
- What is the angle of a semicircle
- Which vegetables can guinea pigs not eat?
- How much physics is needed to program
- How do I stay positive in solitude
- Can i meet more women
- What is a tunnel boring machine TBM
- How do I get obsessed with movies
- SDET vs SDE
- Can you help with article rewriting
- Why do Cola and Mentos react
- What are the past Category 4 hurricanes
- Are you proud of Justin Trudeau
- Why don't you like Alexa
- What sports will age your body quickly?
- Abstract classes can have instance variables
- What motivates pathological lying
- What is the restaurant etiquette in Spain