Why is my PS4 always lagging behind
PS4 does not start: This has to be done in case of problems after updates, BLoD and Co.
You come home after a stressful day and finally want to relax a little while playing with your PS4 - but suddenly the console no longer wants to start. This is annoying and quickly leads to the fear of a serious defect. But that doesn't have to be the case. UPDATED shows you what to do in which cases to get your PS4 working again.
PS4 won't start: these are the most common causes
- Power supply interrupted: Make sure your game console has reliable power. This potential cause may sound banal, but it can also be remedied with little effort. Make sure the power cord is securely connected to your PS4. If you move the console frequently, or if the power cord is live, the plug can loosen over time.
- Console not shut down properly: Your PS4 may not be completely turned off. In this case, it can be enough to hold down the power button on the front of the console for seven seconds. The hardware should beep twice and then shut down completely. You can then try to restart the Playstation.
- Video signal is missing or disturbed: You may also be dealing with the so-called “Blue Light of Death” (often abbreviated to “BLoD”). You can recognize the “BLoD” error when your PS4 does not start up as usual until the user interface is displayed. Instead, the console's light bar pulsates continuously with blue light and the screen stays black. If this is the case with you, there are various possible causes and possible solutions.
- Firmware update causes problems: Sony has already provided numerous updates for the PS4. Not every update went smoothly for all users. With a bit of luck, you can solve problems that arise in connection with a system update using the safe mode. However, if you are unsuccessful in this way, you can have the console reset by Sony support.
Tip: Bugs and other debris that get stuck inside can also paralyze the console. It is conceivable, for example, that the cooling performance is limited so much that the console switches off to prevent damage from overheating. To prevent such a scenario, we will show you in one of our other guides how to keep the Playstation 4 really clean.
“YLoD” vs. “BLoD”: A question of the generation
What the “Blue Light of Death” (BLoD) is on the PlayStation 4 was the so-called “Yellow Light of Death” (YLoD) in the previous generation of Sony's blockbuster, the PlayStation 3. This is also a defect that the console detects through a system test at start-up and which manifests itself in the form of continuous light signals - just with a yellow light instead of a blue one. Another parallel to the “BLoD”: Even with the “YLoD”, a faulty or missing video signal is usually responsible. The cause usually lies in damage that can result from overheating individual components, such as torn solder joints.
“Blue Light of Death” Causes and Solutions
There are several possible causes for the “BLoD” error, which manifests itself through a characteristic pulsation of the light bar. As a rule, these occur independently of one another and therefore also require specific approaches.
HDMI output causes difficulties
There may be something wrong with the HDMI output on your PS4. You should therefore first carry out a precise visual inspection of the connection socket. If you suspect something is bent inside the connector, the best thing to do is to contact Sony support. Please have the serial number of your console ready. You can usually find this in the form of a print on the underside of your PS4.
By the way: Especially with the first delivered copies of the PlayStation 4, there were occasional reports of minor production defects on the consoles. The most common problems encountered in this context were the HDMI output. The cause was mostly a small piece of metal that protruded from the connection socket. Such a metal part can not only disrupt the connection itself, but also cause damage to the HDMI cable. Under certain circumstances, you should therefore replace the supplied cable with another commercially available HDMI cable.
Hard disk is connected incorrectly
The hard drive on your PS4 can also cause problems and cause “BLoD” if it is not properly connected. Sony designed the PlayStation 4 so that users can swap out the hard drive if necessary, for example with a faster SSD or a model with a larger capacity. This gives you the opportunity to check for yourself whether the hard drive is properly connected to your console. If you are not sure how to do this, it is best to contact Sony support directly.
Solve problems using Safe Mode for PS4
Similar to the Windows PC and the smartphone with the Android operating system, the fourth generation of the PlayStation also has a safe mode. With a little luck, your PS4 will at least start in this safe mode, so that you have the option of making changes or restoring the factory settings.
To start your PS4 in what is known as safety mode, do the following:
- Make sure your PS4 is completely turned off. The console should then no longer light up and no longer emit any noises.
- Now press and hold the PlayStation 4's power button until the console emits two beeps. That should be the case after about seven seconds.
- If your PS4 starts in safe mode, you should now be prompted to connect a PS4 controller using a USB cable. So connect your controller to the console.
- Press the PlayStation button in the middle of the controller to get to the main menu of the security mode. The simple menu on a blue background is very clear thanks to fewer vertical options.
There are several options available to you in the main Safe Mode menu. For example, do you have recently tried to update your console to the latest version of the system software, then try the following:
- Choose Rebuild the databaseonce your PS4 goes into Safe Mode and wait for the process to complete.
- Perform another restart in safe mode.
- Now choose Update system software and follow the instructions on your screen.
- Then try again to start the console in conventional mode as usual.
Only when nothing seems to be working should you think about restore the console to its factory condition.
Note: If you use Safe Mode to restore your console to its factory condition, all existing data will be lost unless you have stored it in the cloud. This means, for example, that the games you have bought have to be installed again via disc or downloaded from the PlayStation Network (PSN).
To restore your PS4 to its factory condition, select Safe Mode from the main menu Initialize PS4. Then follow the instructions on your screen.
Many errors can be remedied in a few simple steps
When technology fails, good advice is expensive. The good news in this case is that the problems can often be fixed with comparatively little effort and, above all, on the spot. Even when you are dealing with the infamous “Blue Light of Death”, your home gaming center is not automatically doomed. If you do not get the problem under control yourself, Sony support usually has one or the other help ready.
Disclaimer OTTO (GmbH & Co KG) assumes no liability for the correctness, topicality, completeness, effectiveness and harmlessness of the information and recommendations made available on updated.de. It is expressly pointed out that the official manufacturer's specifications are to be observed with priority over all other information and recommendations and only these can guarantee a safe and proper use of the respective purchase items.
- Is vengeance on the nature of the hamlet
- Have units of the US Army AA
- Where does Gouda come from
- Why is Ubuntu installation so slow
- How did Travis Kalanick fare at UCLA
- What is 18 2 36 20
- Can CPS access parents' medical records
- Reacts copper (II) carbonate with HCl
- How long will it take until all the forests are gone
- What are the bad properties of stone boars
- What part of the story do you dislike
- Can malignant hyperthermia be cured
- Are computer programmers required
- What happens to nitric acid in water
- What makes atmosphere cling to the earth
- Why was communism so popular
- Uses Nutanix VSAN
- Is Bovril the same as Marmite
- How is hydrobromic acid synthesized
- Have you experienced or felt a miracle?
- How many hours do copywriters work
- Who can fire IAS officers?
- What are the most dangerous brain pills
- Which videos are illegal to shoot